We can all agree that Poodles are a great dog breed. Whether small or large, these dogs are trainable, friendly and intelligent. Poodles are known for their soft, curly coat. If you’ve added one to your family of pets or are considering doing so, there’s so much you need to know to ensure your Poodle’s coat is clean and healthy.
To give your Poodle a good bath, you need to identify the best conditioner for Poodles. This article takes you through a list of recommended conditioners ideal for your Poodle’s coat. Before using any product listed herein, we strongly recommend testing the product on a small area.
Doing this lets you know whether your Poodle reacts well to the specific product you intend to use.
What Makes a Good Poodle Conditioner?
Before looking at the best conditioner for Poodles, it’s essential to know what you should be looking for when comparing conditioners. It’s worth noting that some Poodles have sensitive skin.
Therefore, some ordinary conditioners might do more harm than good. For instance, instead of keeping the Poodle clean, some of these products could leave the Poodle’s skin dry.
The following are some of the things that make a good Poodle conditioner.
Ideal for Sensitive Skin
It’s crucial to select a shampoo and conditioner that is good for your Poodle’s skin. The last thing you want is to see your Poodle scratching itself just because you used a product that isn’t ideal for sensitive skin.
Irritated skin can further lead to other health complications since your Poodle is more prone to infections. Over time, this can be costly since you might incur heavy bills to visit your vet more often.
The best conditioner for Poodles should be pH balanced. The right balance shouldn’t have chemicals, soaps, phthalate, sulfate, or phosphate.
You might think bathing your Poodle using shampoo alone will do the job. Shampooing does some good cleaning, but it also causes some tangling. The best conditioner should protect the Poodle’s fur, moisturize the hair and skin, and even add some depth of color. Conditioners also help remove undercoat fur and sometimes soothe itchy skin.
It Doesn’t Wash Off Flea Treatments
It’s worth thinking about the flea prevention treatments your Poodle goes through when shopping for shampoos and conditioners. The best product shouldn’t wash off flea treatments.
Giving your Poodle regular baths doesn’t mean you should make it more vulnerable to parasite infections.
That said, most people prefer using natural Poodle bathing products. Some of the conditioner products listed in this article contain natural ingredients. These natural products still offer the nice after-clean that you want.
Top 10 Conditioners for Poodles
Here are my recommendations for the best Poodle conditioners.
Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe Conditioner
Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe Conditioner is a great option for Poodles with sensitive skin. This conditioner can help relieve itchy and dry skin. Earthbath Oatmeal has a good pH balance, and it helps remove and prevent detangles while soothing and re-moisturizing dry, itchy skin.
- HELPS RELIEVE ITCHING & DRY SKIN: This pH-balanced conditioner with colloidal oatmeal detangles coats while re-moisturizing and soothing itchy, dry skin. It will leave your best friend's coat soft and...
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Blended with the finest ingredients, such as vegetable-derived conditioner & detangler, organic shea butter, colloidal oatmeal, and organic aloe vera. NO PARABENS, NO...
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind. We believe the ingredients that touch your pet's coat and skin should be as naturally effective,...
- CRUELTY FREE: We at earthbath have a genuine love for pets and concern for the environment. Since 1995, these passions have been at the heart of everything we do, from the ingredients we put into our...
- HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason
The product is blended with natural ingredients, including organic shea butter, aloe vera, colloidal oatmeal, and vegetable-derived detangler & conditioner. It’s safe for your Poodle since it has no dyes, no parabens, no sulfates, no alcohol, or phthalates.
The genuine love for pets is evident in how the manufacturer uses cruelty-free ingredients to make this product. This means that the conditioner is also friendly to the environment.
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Oatmeal Conditioner
Burt’s Bees conditioner is also a good pick when looking for a Poodle conditioner that soothes and softens your pet’s skin. Besides being an affordable conditioner, the product is made from all-natural ingredients such as honey, colloidal oatmeal, and beeswax for sensitive skin.
- DID YOU KNOW DOG SKIN DIFFERS FROM HUMAN'S - Dogs' skin is less acidic than human skin, so human shampoos destroy a dog's skin protective barrier, leaving your pet vulnerable to itchy flaking
- NO. 1 PET GROOMING BRAND IN THE USA-See why millions of pet parents entrust their pet's health and hygiene to Burt's Bees for Pets. This natural shampoo for dogs is no exception
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS - Burt's Bees Oatmeal Conditioner moisturizes, soothes, softens, and conditions your dog's dry skin and coat
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES - This mild tearless shampoo is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS - All naturally derived ingredients include colloidal oatmeal, honey, and beeswax for sensitive skin
The Burt’s Bees product also has a well-balanced pH, meaning it’s safe for big and small Poodles. You can use the product more often, especially after cleaning your pet using shampoo. What you need to do here is to apply liberally to your Poodle’s wet coat and allow it to sit for about 1 minute. You can then rinse and dry your dog.
Burt’s Bees is veterinarian recommended since it’s free from sulfates, fragrances, and hard chemicals.
Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
Furminator deShedding is the product you need to release the loose undercoat on your pet if your Poodle is prone to de-shedding. This can be helpful if you’ve been having trouble cleaning up the excess fur around your home.
- Furminator deSheddign Ultra Premium Conditioner
- Reduces excess shedding by releasing the undercoat during the bath
- Contains no parabens or chemical dyes
- Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, Chamomile Extract and Aloe Vera
- Use monthly as part of the Furminator at-home professional grooming regiment for best results
The product is enriched with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Users also argue that Furminator deShedding helps reduce natural water loss from the Poodle’s skin, which helps to promote a healthy coat and skin.
The Furminator deShedding comes with the OdorCapture 360 technology, which eliminates the nasty wet Poodle smell. It’s formulated without parabens or sulfate and has the proper pH balance suitable for dogs.
PetAg Fresh’ n Clean
PetAg Fresh’ n Clean helps in moisturizing and conditioning. This is a good Poodle conditioner that will break up tangles and mats. This is the product for you if you’re looking to treat your Poodle’s fur for easier combing. It contains aloe vera and vitamin E, some essential hair foods that can give your Poodle’s hair a radiant look it deserves.
- Conditions Coat: Breaks up tangles and mats for a healthy, pretty dog coat
- Contains Vitamin E and Aloe Vera: Moisturizes hair shaft for easier combing
- Fresh Clean Fragrance: Scent lasts up to two weeks
- Doggie Odor Control: Has long-lasting classic fresh scent
- Excellent Care Solution: PetAg delivers top-quality products for owners and animal professionals
After conditioning your Poodle, the scents can last up to two weeks. PetAg Fresh’ n Clean can make a massive difference to dog owners who have been struggling with the usual wet dog smell.
Veterinary Formula Solutions Ultra Oatmeal Moisturizing Conditioner
It’s normally rewarding to give your Poodle a nice warm bath and later use the right conditioner that leaves its coat soft, hydrated, and shiny. If you’re looking for an affordable conditioner that does just that, the Veterinary Formula Solutions is one of the best conditioners for Poodles on the market.
- MOISTURIZE AND SOOTHE – Our Ultra Oatmeal Moisturizing Dog Shampoo with silk protein, DL-panthenol, glycerin and pomegranate is formulated with patented conditioners and emollients to clean and...
- FOR A STRONG AND SHINY COAT – This moisture-rich, nourishing, oatmeal pet shampoo leaves your dog’s coat clean, soft, silky and shiny. The antioxidant formula moisturizes, conditions and protects
- LONG-LASTING FRAGRANCE – The exceptional long-lasting raspberry tea and pomegranate fragrance in this pet shampoo has patented fragrance extenders so your clean, soft dog will smell amazing long...
- FORMULATED FOR DOGS – Ultra Oatmeal Shampoo for dogs is sulfate-free, and pH balanced for your pet’s sensitive skin. It will not wash away topical spot-on flea and tick treatments
- EFFECTIVE & AFFORDABLE – Veterinary Formula Solutions products are created with premium ingredients but available at a price that pet parents can afford. We know your dogs and cats are more than...
The conditioner is formulated using jojoba oil and micronized colloidal oatmeal to moisturize and hydrate your Poodle’s coat and skin naturally. Other essential ingredients that the product has include shea butter, pomegranate, and silk protein. These help to strengthen your dog’s skin.
Isle of Dogs Everyday Elements Lush Coating Conditioner
The Isle of Dogs also delivers a perfect Poodle conditioner that is helpful in shining, softening and moisturizing. This moisturizer comes in the form of a gel. It’s a protein-based product specifically formulated to provide Poodle coats with a soft texture and a fluffier look.
- LUSH COATING CONDITIONER: A rejuvenating, protein-based conditioner formulated to give coats a full and textured feel! Everyday Elements' volumizing dog conditioner helps prevent damage and provides a...
- FULLER COAT, LESS SHEDDING: Designed to volumize and repair coats! This protein-enriching conditioner helps moisturize and condition hair without flattening or softening and is excellent for releasing...
- FRESHENING FORMULA: Invites more cuddles and pets! A clean, shiny, and fresh coat is a good indicator of a healthy, well-loved pup and a necessity for extended cuddle time. Lush Coating conditioner...
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY: Achieve show-worthy results at home! Everyday Elements is a ready-to-use professional-quality grooming salon collection featuring performance-driven ingredients in high...
- ISLE OF DOGS: We take beauty beyond fluff with premium dog grooming products that promote inner wellness and outer beauty. Rooted in our rich dog show heritage and search for excellence, our...
The dog conditioner is made from keratin amino acids and jojoba oils to strengthen your Poodle’s fur and reduce frequent shedding. Its protein content also helps in releasing dead coats while grooming your pet.
The Isle of Dogs invites more cuddles since your dog will always have a clean and shiny look. Arguably, it’s a good treat for your best friend.
Dr. Sniff Dream Coat Dog Conditioner
Dr. Sniff Dream is also worth the try if you’re looking for a conditioner that offers the right pH balance, detangles, hydrates, and is hypoallergenic.
This Poodle conditioner combines natural ingredients to give your dog its original glow and shine. Its components are also meant to help with skin restoration and softening. Dr. Sniff Dream is free from toxic fragrance, and it’s made from organic ingredients, including jojoba oil, coconut oil, argan oil, aloe vera, and sesame seed oil.
Some purchasers complain about the texture and viscosity.
Lillian Ruff Berry Conditioner
Lillian Ruff is yet another recommended band when you’re shopping around for the best conditioner for Poodles. The conditioner has a pleasant scent that leaves your Poodle smelling nice for days.
It’s tear-free; you don’t have to worry about harming your pet when cleaning next to the eyes. The conditioner is also suitable for hydrating dry, itchy skin.
There is value in the larger packaging size, particularly if you are running a small grooming business or have many local dogs to wash.
John Paul Oatmeal Conditioning Rinse
John Paul’s Oatmeal Conditioning Rinse is recommended for pet owners looking for conditioners that help with soothing, revitalization, moisturization, and conditioning. It’s a safe product to use on your Poodle, especially if it has sensitive skin.
- Luxurious botanical rinse out conditioner that soothes, conditions and moisturizes dry fur
- Sensitive skin shampoo formula for dogs and cats; soothes and conditions sensitive skin
- Use after shampooing to restore a silky, shiny, healthy feel to your pet's fur; improves dry and wet combing and enhances overall manageability
- Contains five conditioning agents including oatmeal and chamomile
- Vitamin E added to further protect and revitalize skin and fur
The product is best used right after shampooing. Doing this helps restore your Poodle’s shiny, silky, and healthy fur.
Essential conditioning agents in the product include chamomile, oatmeal, and vitamin E.
TropiClean Conditioner is an organic Poodle conditioner that moisturizes effectively. It’s a good product that helps in detangling and conditioning your pet. Besides, it comes with a sweet tropical scent that lasts several days.
- MOISTURIZES & CONDITIONS – Tropiclean’s conditioner moisturizes your pet’s skin and coat to help detangle their hair and add moisture.
- ELIMINATES DOG SMELL – Reduce smelly pet odor with the tropical kiwi coco butter scent of our good smelling dog conditioner.
- FEEL-GOOD INGREDIENTS – Our pet conditioner is derived from natural ingredients such as coco buter and vitamin E for a silky soft coat.
- PET PARENT APPROVED – A gentle grooming conditioner that's paraben, dye, soap and cruelty free and suitable for use on dogs and cats 12 weeks or older.
- TROPICLEAN – For a tropical experience, pair this with any of our shampoos, on-the-go wipes and deodorizers.
The product is safe since it’s paraben-free, soap-free, and dye-free. It’s best used for Poodles that are 12 weeks or older.
Poodles require regular grooming to maintain their hairy and healthy coats. Shampooing alone will only do the cleaning, but it won’t help strengthen and moisturize your pet’s hair. Therefore, a conditioner should be used to enhance your pet’s coat and give it a shiny look.
The best conditioner for Poodles should be balanced with essential oils that also help in restoring your Poodle’s natural glow.
You now have a list of the best conditioners to use while grooming your dog. Always choose the right conditioner depending on what you think will work well with your Poodle.
There are instances where specific conditioners might irritate your pet’s skin. Remember to try the conditioner on a small area to ensure the product reacts well with your pet.