Poodles are one of the most popular dog breeds in the world. While the breed is highly intelligent, very athletic, and impressively trainable, most people recognize Poodles by their standout feature: their fur.
- Refreshes & Soothes: Like a comforting belly rub - it relaxes! It cleanses, conditions, detangles, and moisturizes - dog itching skin relief
- USA-Made Quality
- Soft coats - Safe, non-irritating, natural ingredients that nourish your dog’s coat.
- Eco-Friendly, Pure Formula: Only the good stuff, none of the bad.
Poodles are known for their fluffy, curly coats. You have likely seen some funny-looking photos of extravagant cuts that leave puffs of fur intertwined with shaved portions.
Despite how you choose to trim a Poodle’s elegant fur, one essential part of grooming is bath time. The best way to bathe it is with the best shampoos for Poodles. Proper care for this unique coat will keep it healthy and beautiful.
Caring for Poodle Coats
Unless competing in a dog show, most Poodle owners keep their pup’s coat trimmed short. It’s much more manageable this way and can help prevent mats and tangles. Aside from regular bathing, your Poodle also needs brushing and trimming.
Poodles have two concerns that you need to address when it comes to bathtime:
Because of these concerns, it’s essential to find a shampoo that can gently untangle curly knots without giving your Poodle dry, itchy skin.
Best Shampoo for Poodles
Below are five different shampoos that are fantastic options for Poodle owners. Take a closer look to learn more.
Best Overall: Nootie Japanese Cherry Blossom
We know what you’re thinking: isn’t this shampoo for Doodles? The answer is yes, but it’s also an excellent choice for Poodles. Nootie is specially formulated for low-shedding, hypoallergenic, curly-haired dogs like Poodles.
- NEW: Leak proof packaging
- JAPANESE CHERRY BLOSSOM DOG & CAT SHAMPOO, REJUVENATING WITH ROSEMARY EXTRACT, REVITALIZES DRY SKIN & COAT- Safe for pets over 8 weeks old
- IMPROVES SKIN & COAT WITH ONE WASH.
- LONG LASTING FRAGRANCE - Use with Nootie Daily Spritz to maintain fragrance in between washes.
- FORMULATED FOR VETERINARIANS - Nootie is sold in over 5,000 vet clinics and 4,000 pet stores worldwide. Our formulator has over 40 years of experience.
- The 4-in-1 effect cleans, detangles, conditions, and moisturizes.
- It uses all-natural, organic ingredients to avoid irritants.
- Free from harmful chemicals and safe for the environment.
- Cleans and moisturizes the skin simultaneously
- No chemicals
- No dyes
- No alcohol
- Fresh lavender and chamomile scent
- No additional scent options
This best overall option for Poodles will make your dog smell great, easy to brush, look shiny, and feel soft.
Best for Poodle Puppies: Burt’s Bees for Puppies
Burt’s Bees is a highly trusted brand known for its use of beeswax and honey to create high-quality, natural products. We love Burt’s Bees for Puppies because it translates that same mission to your beloved Poodle pup.
- PET GROOMING BRAND IN THE USA—Join the millions of pet parents who can’t get enough of Burt’s Bees for Pets by using pet grooming brand
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS — Burt's Bees Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your puppy's skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — All natural ingredients include buttermilk, which soothes skin and softens hair and linseed oil, which deeply conditions your puppy's coat
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES — This mild shampoo and conditioner is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
- Burt’s Bees uses high-quality, natural ingredients including buttermilk, linseed, beeswax, and honey.
- The mild formula is created for puppies to keep their skin irritant-free and pH-balanced.
- Not only does it clean, but the shampoo also conditions and softens to make detangling easier.
- Safe ingredients
- Veterinarian-recommend formula
- Great value
- Leaves puppies soft and clean
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- Little to no scent
- Does not lather like other shampoos
If you’re looking for a safe, vet-recommended puppy shampoo for your Poodle, Burt’s Bees is an excellent option. Its low-scent formula is appealing to those who don’t love a strong smell and it’s very gentle on a new puppy’s sensitive skin.
Best for the Budget: WAHL Oatmeal Formula
Lots of people in this world will tell you that it’s always best to buy in bulk. If you’re on a budget, you can’t go wrong with the 64-ounce bottle of WAHL Oatmeal Formula. It’s the best deal per ounce you can find.
- Made in the USA - Our oatmeal formula pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended for moisturizing dry skin & providing itch relief
- Oatmeal Formula – This coconut lime verbena scented pet shampoo is great for moisturizing dry skin, cleaning dirty coats, & itch relief. The thick lather rinses off clean & keeps your pet looking...
- Less is More - Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as much as other dog shampoos. A little bit of shampoo goes a long way and provides a...
- Allergy Friendly - Our dog icon, Rocket, was designed in the image of our family dog Cooper – a golden doodle, who has severe allergies. This is the only shampoo we have found safe and effective. He...
- The Brand Used by Professionals - Wahl has been serving professional vets and groomers for over 50 years. clean, condition fur & hair for a smooth, soft coat. We are a company of animal lovers that...
- The USA-made formula features oatmeal as the main ingredient and does not use alcohol, parabens, or other chemicals.
- This is a highly-concentrated formula, which means a little goes a long way and it lasts longer.
- The shampoo was created to be effective for dogs with severe skin allergies.
- Less is more for long-lasting use
- Forms a thick, well-cleaning lather
- Smells great
- Great for dry, sensitive skin
- Large bottle would be better with a pump
When you buy a budget product, you often have to sacrifice some of the quality of an expensive product. But this WAHL Oatmeal Formula is proof that you can save money and still purchase an excellent shampoo for your Poodle.
Best for Sensitive Skin: VETNIQUE LABS Dermabliss Anti-Itch Shampoo
Poodle owners know that their dog’s skin is prone to irritants and allergies. It can be hard to find a good shampoo that won’t cause itching, dryness, and rashes. But VETNIQUE LABS Dermabliss shampoo is the ideal anti-itch, medicated formula for Poodles.
- SOAP-FREE FORMULA - Our shampoo is safe for regular use and will not remove healthy skin oils. Dermabliss Itch & Allergy Relief Shampoo gently cleanses and moisturizes irritated skin leaving a healthy...
- VETERINARY STRENGTH - Dermabliss Anti-Itch Shampoo is veterinary formulated with the highest amount of Pramoxine Hydrochloride possible without a prescription and also contains soothing ingredients...
- DOG ITCH RELIEF - Pramoxine is used to temporarily numb the skin which provides relief from the constant itching and scratching that wakes you up in the middle of the night. Your and your dog will...
- SKIN SOOTHING - Dermabliss Itch Shampoo uses Oat Extract which helps to soothe many skin irritations including atopic dermatitis. This is a great puppy shampoo, and is for cats & dogs of all ages!
- CREATED BY VETS FOR HAPPY PETS - From the makers of Glandex - Our Dermabliss veterinary formula dog itch shampoo, as well as all Vetnique Labs products, are created with the health and well-being of...
- The formula uses oatmeal as a main ingredient to protect and moisturize sensitive skin.
- This brand was created by vets, so it’s backed by extensive knowledge and training.
- Pramoxine helps to temporarily numb the skin in a safe way to relieve dogs dealing with an allergy outbreak.
- Soothes, moisturizes, and protects skin
- Soap-free formula
- Effective in relieving existing itchiness
- Great smell
- Lathers and cleans well
- Can be irritating if it gets in the eyes
The Dermabliss shampoo is truly a lifesaver for Poodle owners struggling to cure and prevent itchy, inflamed skin. Not only does this great-smell shampoo clean your dog and prevent sensitivity reactions, but it works to relieve current issues.
Best All-Natural: Sofee & Co. Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
As pet owners, many of us feel very uncomfortable about using man-made preservatives and weird chemicals on our babies. If you’re looking for the best in natural dog shampoo, look for Sofee & Co. Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo.
- SOFTENS, SOOTHES, DETANGLES, MOISTURIZES DRY ITCHY FLAKY SENSITIVE SKIN.
- LEAVES A SILKY SMOOTH COAT.
- NO PARABENS, SULFATES, MINERALOILS, PHTHALATES OR ARTIFICIAL DYES.
- NON-TOXIC. CRUELTY FREE. MADE IN THE USA.
- SMALL FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS FOCUSED ON QUALITY AND CARE FOR ALL DOGS.
- The brand uses only naturally derived ingredients and is free from sulfates, parabens, chemicals, artificial dyes, and more.
- The brand is 100 percent non-toxic and cruelty-free.
- Buying this product means supporting a USA-made, family-owned small business.
- It is formulated to help clean, detangle, soften, and moisturize.
- Leaves coats fluffy and soft
- Fabulous lavender and mint smell
- Excellent for tangles
- Worry-free formula
- Can help relieve pet dandruff
- No medicinal properties
- No other scent options
If you love all-natural products for yourself, then you will adore Sofee & Co. for your dog. It smells wonderful, helps detangle curly fur, and forms a thick lather so you can reach every part of your dog’s skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re new to grooming Poodles, then you probably have some more questions about the process. Check out these frequently asked questions.
How often should I bathe my Poodle?
You should bathe your Poodle no more often than every two to three weeks. It’s a good idea to keep your dog clean, but overbathing can prevent your Poodle from using its body’s natural oils to keep its skin moisturized.
Should I dry my Poodle?
Yes, always dry your Poodle after a bath. Keeping your dog wet can make them cold and can even lead to more serious issues such as fungus between the toes and ear infections.
In most cases, it’s enough to dry your Poodle off with a towel and let him air dry the rest of the way. You may also try using a blowdryer, so long as it’s not too hot and you don’t use it on a high setting.
What other grooming care does a Poodle need?
Like other breeds, Poodles require additional steps in their grooming routine. You should clip your Poodles nails every three to four weeks to prevent breakage and damage. Poodles also need regular ear cleaning to prevent infections and smells.
It’s also very important to brush a Poodle daily. Because its fur is so curly and thick, it is prone to tangles and mats. Brush your dog every day to the skin to keep it tangle-free.
Poodles make excellent pets that are loving, loyal, affectionate, and even great with kids. Plus, due to their intelligence and training capability, they’re incredible dogs to work with and teach fun tricks.
But a Poodle’s bold coat takes a little bit of extra care and attention. Be sure to use the best shampoo for Poodles to ensure they remain healthy, happy, and beautiful.