Just as we humans need routine maintenance to maintain good hygiene, dogs are no different. Likewise, no one-size-fits-all method of grooming fits all dogs since every breed is different. Poodles need regular, scheduled grooming to keep them happy and healthy.
Grooming your Poodle is not just about making them cute—although that is a bonus. It is about their health, safety, and hygiene. Poodles have tight, curly coats that quickly become tangled without proper washing and brushing. Inexperienced owners often let the hair of their Poodles grow too long without adequate grooming, which can cause matting, hot spots, ear infections, or worse.
A good rule of thumb is to offer your Poodle a good brushing at least once a week, a bath once a month, and a grooming every 6-8 weeks. You can have this done by a professional in your area or find the proper tools and learn how to do it yourself.
In this article, we will go over the best dog clippers for Poodles, how to use them properly, and how you can help your dog stay healthy. Be sure to exercise extreme caution and do thorough research before you decide to cut your Poodle’s hair yourself.
Professional Grade Clippers
One of the most important things I will tell you about dog clippers is: don’t cheap out. Spending a large chunk of money cutting your Poodle’s hair may seem like a hassle, but trust me, the price will be worth it. The best brands will offer good quality, hardy clippers that will last you through hundreds of grooms.
Cheap, knock-off brand clippers will make the grooming experience more difficult for you and your dog. Dull blades can get stuck in thick hair or pull and rip the hair out rather than cutting straight through. Cheap parts can break when used too often, which can be dangerous.
Different sizes can be suitable for different styles and cuts, and it is always a good idea to have replacement parts and blade lengths available when you need them. So, having multiple clippers for your Poodle may also be wise.
Below, I have listed some top-of-the-line clipper brands and the best dog clippers for Poodles.
This family-owned brand has been around for 100 years and has found its way into the hands of thousands of professional Groomers worldwide. Their quality is second to none, and they have a wide variety of dog grooming tools, so you should not even need to look elsewhere for anything.
- ROTARY MOTOR: The trimmer's super two-speed rotary motor operates at a speed of 3400–4400 strokes per minute to cut hair. It allows you to quickly and simply trim the thick, long hair on your dog
- DETACHABLE BLADE: The metal clips included inside the clipper make attaching and removing the blade a breeze. To ensure that the blades are cleaned after use, this is done
- SHARP BLADES: Use the pro clip to give your pets a precise haircut. The blade's teeth are closely spaced to prevent snagging or tugging while removing hair. The sharp blades are carbon edged
- SILENT RUNNING: Animals or pets won't become agitated or injured by getting their hair clipped. You and your pets won't be bothered by the trimmer's operation because it makes almost no noise
- BROAD USAGE: The robust 14-inch cord clipper is perfect for expert, thorough pet trimming & professional grooming. It is also suited for any animal because of its strong housing design
- ROTARY MOTOR: The trimmer's powerful two-speed rotary motor clipper with 120V voltage performs on par with that of pros. It can swiftly trim thick animal hair..Hertz : 60 Hz. Strokes per MinuteMAX 3400 SPM.
- COMPATIBLE: For all livestock and breeds, the trimmer is ideal. Additionally, it has an animal-compatible enclosure with a sturdy frame and detachable drive cap.
- LOW NOISE: The animal cutter makes relatively little noise while operating. Low noise won't frighten your pet, and you'll be able to quickly and easily trim its coat.
- DETACHABLE BLADE: The trimmer comes with a detachable blade that can be removed & put back easily. The design makes it easier to clean & change the blade.
- USAGE IS SIMPLE: ON = ON and OFF = OFF By turning the clipper on, a fresh blade will be applied. Turn the clipper off before removing the blade. The 14' heavy-duty cable makes it easier to move around equipment and animals.
The Andis UltraEdge Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper is among the highest quality clippers. The blades are relatively quiet and suitable for dogs who spook easily. It cools down quickly for brief breaks (though the cooling spray is still recommended). It has two speeds (3400 SPM & 4400 SPM) and a 14-foot cord.
Our second option is the Andis 22340 ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper. The ProClip has two speeds but is not as powerful as the UltraEdge, at 2700 SPM & 3400 SPM. This slower SPM makes the blades quieter and, with less vibration, easier on your hands and your Poodle. It is about half a pound lighter than the UltraEdge, but the rest of the specs are the same.
Founded in 1924, Oster now produces a whole lot more than just hair grooming tools, but they remain one of the best in the dog clipper business. While they do have lower quality and cheaper options, our favorite picks are the top-notch professional-level clippers that many dog groomers have used for years.
Oster Golden A5 Two-Speed Animal Grooming Clippers have two lower speeds to choose from, 2100 SPM or 2700 SPM. Its durable, chew-proof housing can give you peace of mind knowing your expensive equipment will not fall prey to your dog’s nervous chewing habits. It is lightweight, has a twelve-foot cord, and is made in the USA.
Oster Pet Clippers with Detachable Cryogen-X Blade is a heavy-duty option for those with thick coats. The two motor speeds offer 3000 SPM or 4000 SPM, and these clippers come with blade oil, clipper grease, and a replacement brush. This is definitely one of the best clipper options for Poodles.
- Animal clippers deliver more strokes per minute and a wider blade sweep for faster clipping
- Powerful, heavy-duty universal motor delivers 2 speeds: 3,000 SPM and 4,000 SPM
- Clipper is ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock. Compatible with Oster A5 detachable Cryogen-X blades, and Elite Cryogen-X and Take Down Quick Wide blade series
- Detachable A5 blade system makes blade changes quick and easy
- Includes detachable #10 CryogenX blade, blade oil, clipper grease, cleaning brush, and replacement carbon brushes
- Versatile pet grooming clippers with two-speed switch.Two Speed motor Hi - 2,700 SPM, Lo - 2,100 SPM.Power Source:Plug
- Great for precision and general-purpose grooming
- Detachable Size 10 CryogenX blade included
- Virtually unbreakable chew-proof housing
- Compatible with all Oster A5 detachable blades
The Wahl Brand takes its name after Leo J. Wahl, the inventor of the first electric hair trimmer, patented in 1919. Now, even many years after Wahl’s passing, the brand remains one of the industry’s leaders. You can find their clippers anywhere from a barber shop to a barn.
Wahl Professional Animal Arco Pet Clipper is an extremely lightweight option, and it is cordless to boot. It works best for the face, feet, and sanitary or dogs with thin hair. The rechargeable battery can last up to 80 minutes and recharges in about 75 minutes.
Wahl Professional Animal Thick Coat Pet Clipper is, as it states in the name, for thicker coats. This high-quality clipper is great for curly or matted coats, making it one of the best clippers for Poodles. It has a 14-foot cord for a good range of motion, and its smaller size makes it easier to hang on to and get into the nooks and crannies.
- The original 5-in-1 clipper, the Wahl Arco is the tried-and-true cordless option for precise trimming in hard-to-reach spots such as ears, faces, and paws to give groomers, animal professionals, and...
- The 5-in-1 fine blade adjusts between sizes #9, 10, 15, 30, and 40, offering a convenient variety of cutting lengths; With a rechargeable battery, this clipper has an 80-minute cordless run time and...
- The Arco can be used on small and medium-sized dogs such as Bichons, Shih Tzus, Terriers, and Spaniels, as well as cats; can also be used on horses for trimming and touch-ups on the muzzle, face,...
- Includes one Arco cordless clipper, 5-in-1 fine blade set, two drop-in NiMH rechargeable battery packs, a soft storage case, charging stand and charger, 4 plastic attachment guide combs, cleaning...
- Wahl performs quality assurance on all of our products and small bits of synthetic hair may appear on the blade or clipper as a result of this process; Rest assured that your clipper and blade are...
How To Prepare Your Poodle for Clippers
If you have a Poodle puppy or a Poodle who has never been groomed before, it is unlikely they will let you start grooming away. All dogs react differently to being groomed for the first time.
Some find it enjoyable and relaxing and are an absolute joy to work on. Others (ahem, Huskies) will scream and cry and act like they are being tortured to death every time you come near them.
To make the learning experience as easy as possible, have your Poodle get used to the grooming table by placing treats on it while she stands there. Work your way up to more and more time until you are confident she is okay with it.
Next, have your Poodle get accustomed to you clipping their nails on the grooming table. Always securely hook your Poodle to the table or grooming surface so they can’t jump off and hurt themselves. If you want to start grinding your Poodle’s nails, have her get used to the grinder switched off. Let her look at it, sniff it lick it, and touch her with it.
Once your dog gets used to a nail grinder, she will likely be okay with clippers. However, it is still best to introduce it similarly—switch it off, and let your Poodle explore the new item for herself. Eventually, you can switch the clippers on and touch your Poodle with the base end, not the clipper end, to get her used to the feeling.
Hopefully, your dog will grow accustomed to the grooming after some practice. However, it is important to note that if your Poodle gives you too much trouble, you may want to consider bringing them to a professional or a vet. Remember that your safety and theirs are the priority.
Poodle Grooming Tips for Newbies
There is a lot that goes into grooming a Poodle, and it can be overwhelming at times. Stay calm, be cautious and be prepared. Do not freak out if you don’t remember everything every time; you will eventually get the hang of it. Here are some great tips from a former groomer associate:
- Ease into it, and make sure to not rush. Your Poodle can sense stress, and it will make them anxious. If you are overwhelmed, stop and take a break.
- Put your hair up. A ponytail or headband is your friend for all of you with hair that gets near your face. You don’t want to get stuck in a clipper or nail grinder.
- Never shave wet hair. If you have bathed your Poodle, wait until the next day to use the clippers unless you have a professional doggie dryer.
- Avoid scissors at all costs. Poodles have thin skin; even a little cut can cause pain and bleeding. It is hard to regain your dog’s trust once they have been injured on your table.
- Try your best to brush out mats before shaving. This can be time-consuming, but it is worth avoiding the risk of cutting too close to the skin or leaving a gaping bald spot.
- Treats, treats, treats! You want your Poodle to enjoy themselves and make them as comfortable as possible. For many dogs, there is no better way than giving them food.
Well, there you have it, the best dog clippers for Poodles—and some tips on how to use them. In my experience, Andis is usually the longest-lasting and best-quality option for a professional groom. However, there are many different clipper options available to you, and you should be able to find one that suits you best. Do you want corded or cordless? Lightweight or heavy-duty?
Every owner is different, just like their pets. Find a size clipper that is comfortable for you. Remember, keeping you and your dog safe and healthy is essential, so don’t stress. Happy grooming!